WOW! Facilitator Program
Environmental Concern’s WOW! The Wonders of Wetlands curriculum, first published in 1991, provides educators nationwide with over 50 different wetland activities for Kindergarten through High school students. Since its creation, Environmental Concern leads curriculum workshops to spread wetland awareness, education, and assist in building teacher confidence in utilizing this unique resource. To assist in spreading the wonders of wetlands across the country, EC trains highly talented, motivated volunteers to facilitate workshops in their own local communities to contribute to their understanding of wetlands and related issues. These “Facilitators” represent a wide diversity of backgrounds and special areas of expertise including college professors, naturalists, park rangers, and classroom teachers.
EC-trained Facilitators will schedule and lead independent WOW! workshops in their local communities. WOW! workshops introduce participants to wetland ecology through the three parameters of wetlands (vegetation, soils & hydrology) as well as wetland functions and values by utilizing K-12 hands-on, inquiry-based, cross-curricular activities.
A facilitator also serves as a guide, helping workshop participants gain a better understanding about the WOW! curriculum, its methodologies, and potential impacts on children’s environmental awareness and understanding.
Interested in Becoming a Facilitator?
As an Environmental Concern trained WOW! Facilitator you will have the opportunity to:
- Teach educators about wetland education and motivate them to use wetlands as a focus for teaching youngsters
- Contribute to your community's understanding of wetlands and wetland related issues
- Gain hands-on experience teaching adults in a supportive learning environment
- Become an integral part of an international network of professionals in the fields of wetlands, natural resources, education and interpretation
- Recieve over 50% off the retail price of WOW! books.
- Earn incentive points toward our annual facilitator recognition program/prizes
- Empower students to take action to minimize loss of wetlands and spread wetland awareness.
How do you become an EC- trained WOW! Facilitator?
A WOW! Facilitator is someone who has completed a standard WOW! The Wonders of Wetlands Workshop and a WOW! Facilitator Training course led by EC staff, and is interested in getting others excited about wetland education. Facilitators can teach a WOW! The Wonders of Wetlands workshop for educators and others using WOW! The Wonders of Wetlands.
What is expected of an Environmental Concern WOW! Facilitator?
- A dedication to wetland education
- A desire to utilize your skills and experience to further wetland education efforts
- A commitment to conduct at least one 7-hour WOW! workshop annually.
WOW! Facilitator Expectations and Requirements:
Each year, WOW! Facilitator outreach is quantified and rewarded. Every Facilitator receives as small gift of thanks, and the tops performing Facilitators receive gifts to reward their wetland dedication and contribute to their future lessons.
- Dedication to wetland education.
- Facilitators must take a WOW! Facilitator Training Course led by EC Educators.
- Facilitators will conduct at least one WOW! workshop annually.
- Facilitators must fill out their workshop proposal form and turn in to Environmental Concern six weeks before a scheduled WOW! course.
- Facilitators must complete the Facilitator Feedback form annually and return it to EC by January 21.
Please contact the education department if you have any questions about the WOW! Facilitator program at